You are here
Pedestrian Safety for Little Kids
Once your kids take their first steps, they’ll want to use this new power as much as possible. By knowing a few simple tips, you can encourage your kids to explore and be safe when they’re out and about.
Top Safety Tips
- Talk to your kids about how to be safe and aware while walking.
- Tell kids to look left, right and left again when crossing the street. Teach them to never run or dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Remind kids to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them and to watch out for cars that are turning or backing up.
- It’s always best to walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Every child is different, but developmentally, it can be hard for kids to judge speed and distance of cars until age 10.
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Most injuries happen mid-block or someplace other than intersections.