You are here
Child Injury Prevention Research Intern
The Safe Kids Worldwide Research Department is currently accepting applications from current undergraduate students or recent graduates interested in public health or social sciences, who have a strong interest in child safety and child health initiatives. This is a hands-on, proactive internship where you will assist in research related activities and see that research translated into education efforts, news and other channels. Our office is fast paced and a can-do attitude is essential. The internship is a great opportunity to gain real world professional and public health experience.
We are giving preference to those willing to be part of a full-time internship (40 hours/week). Terms are at least three months in duration; six months or longer preferred. Internships can begin as early as January 2018. This is an unpaid internship. However, a transportation stipend will be provided and academic credit can be earned as determined by the regulations of your school's academic office.
Depending on the research activities underway at the time, the intern will have the opportunity to support the work of the Research Team in several ways, including:
- Conducting background research and literature searches on a variety of injury risk areas, both for the U.S. and internationally
- Conducting descriptive analyses and updating fact sheets
- Assisting with literature reviews of childhood injury risk areas
- Assisting with drafting and reviewing of research reports
- Participating in writing manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications
- Contributing individually in meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Assisting with organization of information to enhance research department functions
- Detail-oriented work style
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Desire to learn about public health research and project management
- Preferred: Background or demonstrated interest in public health
- Preferred: Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and at least one statistical software package (e.g., STATA, SPSS, SAS)
About Safe Kids Worldwide
Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an unintentional injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of members in more than 30 countries and 400 coalitions in the United States to prevent injuries from traffic crashes, drownings, falls, fires, poisonings and more. Working together, we can do much more for children everywhere. Join our effort at www.safekids.org.
How To Apply
To apply for this internship, please submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com, and specify “Research Internship” in the email subject line. Due to the high volume of applications Safe Kids receives, only candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified of their application status via email. No phone calls, please.
Tentative submission timelines include:
Spring Term (February-May)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of January
Start Date: 1st Week of February
Summer Term (June-August)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of May
Start Date: 1st Week of June
Fall Term (September-November)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of August
Start Date: 1st Week of September