Safe Kids Worldwide’s Child Injury Prevention Research Department is accepting intern applications from current undergraduate students or recent graduates interested in public health or social science, who have a strong interest in child safety and child health initiatives. This is a hands-on, proactive internship where you will assist in research related activities and see that research translated into education efforts, news and other channels. Our office is fast paced and a can-do attitude is essential. The internship is a great opportunity to gain real world professional and public health experience.
We are giving preference to those willing to be part of a full-time internship (40 hours/week). Terms are at least three months in duration; six months or longer preferred. Internships can begin as early as January 2018. This is an unpaid internship. However a transportation stipend will be provided and academic credit can be earned as determined by the regulations of your school's academic office.
The child injury prevention research intern will support the work of the Safe Kids Research Department in the following ways:
- Conduct background research and update Fact Sheets and educational materials related to a variety of research projects across risk areas, both in the U.S. and internationally
- Assist in design, editing and writing of research reports (see our Research Report page for examples of our work)
- Participate in the crafting manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications
- Assist with literature reviews on childhood injury risk areas
- Contribute individually in meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Assist with organization of information to enhance research department functions
Skills and qualifications:
- Detail-oriented work style
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Ability to work both independently and in teams
- Experience conducting literature reviews
- Desire to learn about public health research and project management
- Preferred: Background or demonstrated interest in public health
- Preferred: Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and at least one statistical software package (e.g., STATA, SPSS, SAS)
More on Safe Kids
Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of more than 400 coalitions in the U.S. and with partners in more than 30 countries to reduce traffic injuries, drownings, falls, burns, poisonings and more. Since 1988, Safe Kids has helped reduce the U.S. childhood death rate from unintentional injury by 60 percent. Working together, we can do much more for kids everywhere. Join our effort at safekids.org.
How to Apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate that you are applying for the Research Intern position in the email subject line. No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received by Safe Kids Worldwide, all applicants will be notified of their application status via email, if their qualifications are a match for this position.