Safe Kids Worldwide's Global Network Department is accepting intern applications from current undergraduate students or recent graduates interested in global public health or social science, and has a strong interest in child safety and child health initiatives.This is a proactive internship where help provide strong support for Safe Kids Worldwide's coalition members in the United States and its partners around the world. The Global Network Department also leads major international campaigns on key risk areas, such as global road safety for children.The ideal candidate must be interested in working with a team to develop and support the mission of Safe Kids Worldwide and its Global Network department.
Our office is fast paced and a can-do attitude is essential. The internship is a great opportunity to gain real world professional program management and public health experience.
This is a part or full-time position (20-40 hours/week), depending on availability. Terms are at least three months in duration; six months or longer preferred. This is an unpaid internship, however a transportation stipend will be provided.
The global network intern will support the work of the Safe Kids Programs Department in the following ways:
- Assist with the development of an annual organizational report that details the collective, ongoing child injury prevention work of Safe Kids Worldwide and its international partners. The Global Network Intern will assist with writing, outreach, formatting, compilation and proofreading of the report, as well as research on country demographics. The report will serve as a major project for the Global Network Intern.
- Assist the Global Network Department with planning of a biannual injury prevention conference and annual meeting for global partners, taking place at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center on July 29-August 1, 2015. The event will be attended by 700 injury prevention professionals from the United States and around the world.
- Assist with the development and proofreading of a variety of publications.
- Conduct internet research, track and report out on data.
- Coordinate meeting logistics and compile call and meeting minutes.
- Assist with management of a database consisting of more than 500 domestic partner organizations.
- Assist in other special projects and perform a variety of administrative tasks, as assigned.
Skills and qualifications:
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of partners and stakeholders, both in the United States and abroad.
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience conducting internet research.
- Ability to juggle a multitude of tasks with varying deadlines.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Background in public health, social sciences, international development or other related field.
- Experience with event planning.
- Knowledge of a second language a plus.
- Experience living/working abroad a plus.
More on Safe Kids. Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of more than 400 coalitions in the U.S. and with partners in more than 30 countries to reduce traffic injuries, drownings, falls, burns, poisonings and more. Since 1988, Safe Kids has helped reduce the U.S. childhood death rate from unintentional injury by 56 percent. Working together, we can do much more for kids everywhere. Join our effort at safekids.org.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate that you are applying for the Global Network intern position in the email subject line. No phone calls please. Due to the high volume of applications received by Safe Kids Worldwide, all applicants will be notified of their application status via email, if their qualifications are a match for this position.