You are here
The Programs Team at Safe Kids Worldwide develops programs and initiatives to engage communities in child injury prevention through education, awareness and environmental changes. We collaborate with our members and partners around the world to implement programs that provide education and resources to families, influence behavior change and impact child safety.
Safe Kids is currently accepting applications for the Programs Internship from current undergraduate and graduate students interested in contributing to public health and child health initiatives in the areas of home safety, play safety and road safety.
This is a hands-on, interactive internship in Washington, DC where you will learn how injury prevention research is applied to public health practice, contribute to program development activities and participate in collaborative education and awareness efforts.
Preference will be given to candidates who are willing to be part of a part-time or full-time internship during the Spring, Summer or Fall semesters. This is an unpaid internship and academic credit can be earned as determined by the regulations of your university's academic office.
The intern will have the opportunity to:
- Conduct background research for educational programs across injury risk areas, both in the U.S. and internationally
- Assist with conducting literature reviews and summarizing program information that address specific child injury risks
- Contribute to a Safe Kids blog on an injury prevention topic or related intern experience
- Participate in program meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Participate in Safe Kids Worldwide Childhood Injury Prevention Convention activities and Safe Kids community events, as needed
- Detail-oriented work style
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to work both independently and collaborate with a team
- Experience conducting literature reviews and gathering programmatic information
- Experience in program development and planning a plus
- Desire to learn about public health programs and child injury prevention
- Background or demonstrated interest in public health, social sciences
- Demonstrated proficiency in Word, Excel
About Safe Kids Worldwide
Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an unintentional injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of members in more than 30 countries and 400 coalitions in the United States to prevent injuries from traffic crashes, drownings, falls, fires, poisonings and more. Working together, we can do much more for children everywhere. Join our effort at www.safekids.org.
How To Apply
To apply for this internship, please submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com, and specify “Programs Internship” in the email subject line. Due to the high volume of applications Safe Kids receives, only candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified of their application status via email. No phone calls, please.
Tentative submission timelines include:
Spring Term (February-May)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of January
Start Date: 1st Week of February
Summer Term (June-August)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of May
Start Date: 1st Week of June
Fall Term (September-November)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of August
Start Date: 1st Week of September