You are here
Public Policy Intern
The Public Policy team at Safe Kids Worldwide is looking for a dependable intern interested in public policy, especially in relation to child safety and public health, and/or an interest in "lobbying" for a cause. This is a proactive internship where you will engage in the public policy priorities of the organization. You will walk away from this internship with strong writing samples you can use for your next experiences. The internship is unpaid. It is best if it is a credit earning internship, but not mandatory.
The ideal candidate is someone who is familiar with public policy, public health or social science, and has a strong interest in child safety and child health. They must willing to work as a team to support the mission of Safe Kids Worldwide. Our office is fast paced and a can-do attitude is essential.
The intern will have the opportunity to support the work of the Public Policy Team in the following ways:
- Provide background research and memos relating to current legislative efforts
- Draft blogs, tweets and talking points relating to child injury
- Draft letters of support to state and federal officials
- Contribute both individually and as a team in meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Be currently enrolled in a program or have a degree in policy, government, public health or the social sciences
- Detail oriented
- Possess strong time management, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Possess excellent writing skills
- Demonstrate an ability to think creatively, independently, and problem-solve to meet long-range and short-range deadlines
- Have a proven ability to prioritize and complete required tasks without direct daily oversight
About Safe Kids Worldwide
Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an unintentional injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of members in more than 30 countries and 400 coalitions in the United States to prevent injuries from traffic crashes, drownings, falls, fires, poisonings and more. Working together, we can do much more for children everywhere. Join our effort at www.safekids.org.
How To Apply
To apply for this internship, please submit a cover letter and a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and specify “Public Policy Internship” in the email subject line. Due to the high volume of applications Safe Kids receives, only candidates who are selected for interviews will be notified of their application status via email. No phone calls, please.
Tentative submission timelines include:
Spring Term (February-May)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of January
Start Date: 1st Week of February
Summer Term (June-August)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of May
Start Date: 1st Week of June
Fall Term (September-November)
Applications Due: 3rd Week of August
Start Date: 1st Week of September