You are here
Public Policy Intern
The Public Policy team at Safe Kids Worldwide is looking for committed, energized public policy interns interested in the intersection of public policy with child safety and public health. It is "lobbying" for a cause; it is lobbying for the smallest individuals who don’t have lobbyists in the halls of Congress or State Capitols. This is a proactive, remote internship where you will engage in the public policy priorities of the organization and walk away with strong writing samples you can use for your next experiences. Said one recent intern, “I left the internship with writing samples that I was proud of. This organization is doing such worthwhile work to keep children safe, and I am proud to have been a part of that this summer.”
The internship is unpaid. Participation in a credit-earning internship program is preferred, but not mandatory. We are striving to make our remote internships as interactive as when we’re together.
The ideal candidate is someone who is interested in public policy, public health or social science. They might also be someone who keeps up with the news, whether on The Daily Show or The New York Times. They must be willing to work as a team to support the mission of Safe Kids Worldwide. Our work is fast-paced and a can-do attitude is essential.
Interns will support the work of the Public Policy Team in the following ways:
- Provide background research and memos relating to current legislative efforts
- Draft blogs, tweets and talking points relating to child injury
- Draft letters of support to state and federal officials
- Contribute both individually and as a team in meetings and brainstorming sessions
- Have or are enrolled in a degree program in policy, government, public health or social sciences
- Strong time management, organizational and written/interpersonal communication skills
- Want to learn
- Attention to detail with ability to think creatively and problem-solve to meet deadlines
- Have a proven ability to prioritize and complete required tasks without direct daily oversight
About Safe Kids Worldwide
Safe Kids Worldwide is a nonprofit organization working to prevent childhood injury, the number one killer of children in the United States. Throughout the world, almost one million children die of an unintentional injury each year, and almost every one of these tragedies is preventable. Safe Kids works with an extensive network of more 400 coalitions in the United States and partners in more than 30 countries to reduce injuries from traffic crashes, drownings, falls, fires, poisonings and more. To learn more about our organization, visit www.safekids.org.
How To Apply
To apply for this internship: 1) submit a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com, specifying “Public Policy Internship” in the email subject line; and 2) indicate in the email the term(s) for which you are applying (see below). Due to the high volume of applications Safe Kids receives, only candidates selected for interviews will be notified of their application status via email. No phone calls, please.
Applications are typically reviewed on a rolling basis for the following semesters:
- Spring Term (February-May)
- Summer Term (June-August)
- Fall Term (September-December)