You are here
Car and Road Safety
We need to take extra precautions when kids are in an environment where guns are present.
The Hard Facts about Gun Safety
- Children as young as 3 years old may be strong enough to pull the trigger of a handgun.
- Three out of four children living in a house with a gun know where the gun is, even when their parents think they don’t know.
Top Tips about Gun Safety
- Keep guns out of the reach and out of sight of children by storing them securely. Leaving guns unsecured – on a nightstand, table, or other place where a child can gain access – can lead to injuries and fatalities.
- Store guns unloaded and secured with effective, child-resistant gun locks in a locked container out of the reach and sight of children.
- When a gun is not being stored, keep it in your immediate possession and control at all times. Otherwise, store the gun unloaded, locked and separate from ammunition.
- Talk to the grandparents and parents of your children’s friends about guns in the home and how to safely store and secure them.
- If you decide that you no longer need a gun in your home, dispose of it in a safe way. Consult with local law enforcement on the best way to do so.
Learn more ways to keep your children safe when guns are present.