Did You Know?
- Every two minutes, a child is treated in an emergency room for an unintentional cycle-related incident.
- More children ages 5 to 14 are seen in emergency rooms for biking related-injuries than any other sport.
- Helmet use is the most effective way to reduce bicycle-related fatalities.
- Non-motorized scooters cause more injuries to kids than any other toy.
- Every $12 spent on a bicycle helmet for a child generates $580 in cost-saving benefits to society.
Working For Change
Safe Kids works with its coalitions to host events such as Bike to School Day in communities throughout the country. These events aim to raise awareness about bicycling and walking safety by distributing information materials, retro-reflective stickers and bike helmets to promote safely biking to school, proper helmet fit and creating safe routes to school.
Our programs are complemented by our public policy efforts. Safe Kids advocates for strong bike helmet laws throughout the nation and opposes efforts in some jurisdictions to repeal bike helmet laws. Safe Kids also supports Safe Routes to School and is advocating to restore funding and prioritize this program on policy makers’ agendas.
Safe Kids works closely with Bell Sports on the bike safety program. Bell is a company that has led the way in sports and safety.
We also offer specific tools to teach and remind families about bike and skate safety: