You are here
Little Kids At Play
Pedestrian Safety for Little Kids
Once your kids take their first steps, they’ll want to use this new power as much as possible. By knowing a few simple tips, you can encourage your kids to explore and be safe when they’re out and about.
Top Safety Tips
- Talk to your kids about how to be safe and aware while walking.
- Tell kids to look left, right and left again when crossing the street. Teach them to never run or dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Remind kids to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them and to watch out for cars that are turning or backing up.
- It’s always best to walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Every child is different, but developmentally, it can be hard for kids to judge speed and distance of cars until age 10.
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Most injuries happen mid-block or someplace other than intersections.