You are here
Laundry packets are designed to dissolve in water, so when they come in contact with a child’s wet hands or mouths, they start to dissolve and release the concentrated liquid. Here are a few tips to keep kids safe around laundry packets.
Hard Facts about Laundry Packets
- In 2017, there were 10,585 calls to poison centers related to laundry packet incidents involving young children – more than one every hour. That’s a decrease of 19% in the number of annual cases, since the peak in 2015.
- More than 400 children are hospitalized each year after getting into laundry packets.
Top Tips about Laundry Packet Safety
- Keep liquid laundry packets out of children’s reach and sight.
- Keep packets in their original container and keep the container closed.
- If a child gets into liquid laundry packets, call the Poison Help number immediately: 1-800-222-1222.