Protecting Kids From Preventable Injuries
Washington, D.C. November 7, 2019 - Safe Kids Worldwide, a global nonprofit dedicated to protecting kids from preventable injuries, announced today the appointment of seven new members to its board of directors. The new appointees are:
- Emily Alexander, safety advocate and member of Edmund Burke School Board of Trustees
- Marilena Amoni, road safety advocate, former National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Associate Administrator
- John Capp, Director, Global Vehicle Safety Technology & Strategy, General Motors Product Development
- Christopher Hart, Safety Consultant and former Chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Adnan Hyder, Milken Institute School of Public Health, The George Washington University
- Debbie Weir, Senior Executive Managing Director, Everytown for Gun Safety – Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America
- Timothy Wertner, Senior Vice President, United States Operations, FedEx Express
“It is with sincere pleasure that I welcome our new board members, who are all proven leaders, innovative thinkers and deeply committed to keeping kids safe around the world,” said Kristin Recchiuti, Chairman of the Board of Directors. “Too many children are not getting a chance to reach their full potential because of injuries that we can prevent. These are lives we can save. I look forward to working with our new board members to help forward this critical mission.”
The new board members join existing board members Recchiuti (Senior Vice President, Marketing and New Product Development, Advantice Health), Andrew Blair (Vice Chairman, President, CEO, Colonial Parking) and Inez Tenenbaum (attorney and former Chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission). Dr. Kurt Newman (President and CEO, Children’s National Hospital) is an ex-officio member of the Board.
“We are grateful to have a dynamic and engaged board of directors to help guide us in our mission to keep kids safe from preventable injuries,” said Torine Creppy, president of Safe Kids Worldwide. “Their combined vision, experience and energy is extraordinary and will allow us do even more for the children and families we serve.”
ABOUT SAFE KIDS WORLDWIDE
Safe Kids Worldwide is a global nonprofit dedicated to protecting kids from preventable injuries, the number one cause of death to children in the United States. Around the world, a child dies every 30 seconds from an injury that could have been prevented. Safe Kids Worldwide is a recognized resource for families, offering practical information on preventing injuries caused by motor vehicle crashes, fires, falls, poisoning and other risks. Through more than 400 coalitions in the U.S. and partners in more than 30 countries, Safe Kids works with children’s hospitals, trauma centers, first responders and public health experts to get life-saving information to families. With a foundation of research, Safe Kids delivers on the mission through advocacy, education, programs and awareness efforts. Since 1988, Safe Kids has helped reduce the U.S. childhood death rate from unintentional injury by nearly 60 percent.