You are here
Big Kids At Play
Pedestrian Safety for Big Kids
As kids get older, they’re anxious for a little more freedom when walking to school or playing outside. But this is also a time when parents need to stress the importance of the little things big kids should do to stay safe.
Top Safety Tips
- Children under 10 years old should cross the street with an adult. Every child is different, but developmentally, it can be hard for kids to judge speed and distance of cars until age 10.
- Talk to your kids about how to be safe and aware while walking.
- Tell kids to look left, right and left again when crossing the street. Teach them to never run or dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
- Remind kids to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them and to watch out for cars that are turning or backing up.
- It’s always best to walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to the left as possible.
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks. Most injuries happen mid-block or someplace other than intersections.