Happy Child Passenger Safety Week
During this special time of the year dedicated to keeping kids safe in cars and on the road, Safe Kids and our 400 coalitions are asking every parent and caregiver to take just a few minutes to make sure their car seat is used and installed properly. Just a simple checkup can make a big difference for the safety of your family.
And we’re going to make it easy.
The following in-person, virtual, and online options are free-of-charge so please help us celebrate Child Passenger Safety (CPS) by finding one that works for you. It won’t take long, and you could learn something that could save a child’s life.
- In-person inspection stations – Safe Kids coalitions and nationally certified child passenger safety technicians (CPSTs) have adjusted the way they provide CPS education. Following appropriate safety protocols, we are providing more in-person car seat inspections opportunities. Locate a Safe Kids coalition, local event or CPST to see if in-person inspection is an option near you.
- Join a Virtual Car Seat Check-Up – Many coalitions are providing parents with virtual car seat check-ups either with several parents or one-on-one. The check-ups are held with smartphones or tablets and a nationally certified child passenger safety technician (CPST). Contact your local coalition to see if they are offering a virtual check or a virtual class that you can participate in live or watch later.
- Watch expert videos – Safe Kids has produced expert videos with certified technicians showing the proper use and choice of car seats across the various stages, including rear-facing car seats, forward-facing car seats, and booster seats.
- Check out the Ultimate Car Seat Guide – available in English and Spanish. This online, interactive tool provides expert guidance to parents on everything from how to fit a child into a car seat to how to know when it is time to move to a new type of seat.
- Online Child Passenger Safety Class – Recognizing how precious time is to a parent, Safe Kids has created an online child passenger safety class for parents, caregivers, and community partners to take on their own. The class is taught by a certified child passenger safety technician and covers every car seat stage – from when to turn a child forward-facing to the right time to you’re your child from the booster seat to the seat belt.
- Booster Seat Resources - Use these great tips to help decide when to transition a child to a booster seat and learn how the seat belt should fit when in the seat.
- Share the fun – Looking for ways to help your kids have fun and learn about safety at the same time? This Family Safety Activity Book (also in Spanish) includes a maze, word search, coloring pages, puzzles, and other exciting games to keep you and your kids entertained and safe at home, at play and on the road.
- Join us on social media - We will be posting on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn throughout Child Passenger Safety month so check us out for tips, videos, and our Ask the Expert Series, featuring Suzanne Johansson, a child safety engineer from General Motors and Cinthia Vega, our Safe Kids Greater Dallas Coalition Coordinator. Suzanne and Cinthia provide top tips and address common questions parents have about their booster seats.
Please share these resources with your family, neighbors, and friends. Let’s spread the word and work together to keep all kids safe in and around cars.