New Resources to Keep Children Safe In and Around Cars During COVID-19
Even as families try to stay home as much as possible during the coronavirus pandemic, there are times when a trip in the car with the kids is essential. To support parents and caregivers during COVID-19, Safe Kids Worldwide has teamed up with the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association to provide parents and caregivers with a suite of online and virtual resources to properly use and install car seats and to keep kids safe in and around cars.
- Ultimate Car Seat Guide – This interactive tool provides expert guidance to parents on everything from how to fit a child into a car seat to how to know when it is time to move to a new type of seat.
- Live Assistance from Manufacturer Product Specialists – While Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technician programs and inspections are less available now, manufacturers are “essential” and continue to help parents use their car seats correctly. This compilation lists customer service phone numbers, websites, hours and video assistance opportunities.
- Phone Call with Your Local Safe Kids Coalition – Many local Safe Kids coalitions have certified child passenger safety technicians who are available to answer your specific questions over the phone. Find a coalition near you.
- Car Seat Cleaning Tips for COVID-19 – During a time when we are all focused on keeping things sanitary, families can access the latest information from their car seat manual or by contacting their car seat manufacturer.
- Interactive Map of State Law Requirements - Car seats, booster seats and seat belts are required in all states and territories, and laws specify how children must be protected by properly used car seats, booster seats or seat belts.
- Heatstroke Prevention Tips – In the past two years, more than 100 children died of heatstroke because they were alone or became trapped in a hot car. During COVID-19, be especially careful to avoid this type of tragedy by reviewing these tips.