A (Safe) Toy Story
Anyone with little loved ones in our lives has faced the task of finding that perfect gift. I used to feel sorry for those people running around the toy store and comparing one train set to another. Now that I have two nephews and a niece, all under age 6, I’m one of those people too. It’s become an interesting challenge to find the toy that will appeal to each one individually and that will also make each one feel special when they open it.
And then there is safety to consider – from proper age range to keeping track of tiny parts to remembering any other important items that go along with that particular toy.
Of course, the effort is completely worth it. It’s the best feeling when I visit my nephews and niece and see them playing with the perfect toys, knowing that I was able to bring a smile to their faces. And it’s even better when I get to play along, even if, for some reason, they always seem to win.
To make your life a little easier, we’ve teamed up with the Toy Industry Association to provide five tips to help you pick out that perfect, safe toy for the little ones in your family:When choosing a toy or game, read the instructions and warning labels. Make sure it’s just right for your child’s age and development.
- When choosing a toy or game, read the instructions and warning labels. Make sure it’s just right for your child’s age and development.
- Before you’ve settled on the perfect toy, check to make sure there aren’t any small parts or other potential choking hazards.
- Ater play time is over, use a bin or container to store toys for next time. Make sure there are no holes or hinges that could catch little fingers.
- Toys for older kids may contain small parts or batteries, so put them in separate bins or containers to keep them out of the hands of younger siblings.
- I your children have their hearts set on a new bike, skateboard, scooter or other riding equipment, be sure to include a helmet to keep them safe while they’re having fun.
We hope you and your family have a very happy holiday season!