- Under 2 years or under 30 pounds in rear-facing restraint system
- 2-4 years or 30-40 pounds in child restraint system
- 5-7 years or 40-60 pounds in child restraint or booster seat (Booster seats only with lap and shoulder belt)
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- No Requirement
Seat Belt Laws
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8-15 years and 60 pounds or over
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 8 and over
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
- Front only
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
- Riders younger than 18: $120; $92 for all other riders
Does law give immunity to person rescuing child in hot car?