- Under 2 years in a rear-facing child restraint until the reaching manufacturer's weight or height limits (eff: 01/01/20)
- Under 3 years who are not required to be rear-facing must be secured in a forward-facing child restraint system with a harness until reaching manufacturer's weight or height limits (eff:01/01/20)
- Older than 4 years and under 57 inches in a booster seat (eff: 01/01/20)
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- 12 years and younger must be in rear seat if practical
Seat Belt Laws
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- Under 16 years and over 57 inches; 4 years and older if in a seating position where only a lap belt available (eff: 01/01/20)
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders over 8 or over 57 inches
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
Does law give immunity to person rescuing child in hot car?