- Under 2 years and under 30 pounds in rear-facing infant seat
- Under 4 years and under 40 pounds in child safety seat
- Under 8 years and shorter than 57 inches in rear seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- Children 7 years and younger and less than 57 inches must be in the rear seat
Seat Belt Laws
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8 years or taller than 56 inches
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Rider 7 and under and more than 57 inches tall; riders 8 and over
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
Does law give immunity to person rescuing child in hot car?