- Younger than 2 years, or until meeting manufacturer's height/weight recommendations in a rear-facing child safety seat
- 2 years and older and less than 55 pounds in a child restraint system in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations
- Under 8 years, less than 80 pounds and shorter than 57 inches in a booster seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- 11 years and younger and less than 100 pounds must be in rear seat
Seat Belt Laws
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 18 and over
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8-17 years or under 18 years and over 57 inches tall