- No Requirement
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
When is a child restraint required?
- Under 4 years or under 40 pounds in child safety seat
- 4-7 years and 40-80 pounds and 57 inches or shorter in child safety seat or booster seat
- 4 years or over and 80 pounds or over or taller than 57 inches in booster seat or safety belt
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
- $50; $10 for over 80 pounds or over 57 inches tall
Seat Belt Laws
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 8 and over
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
- Riders 8-15: All; Riders over 15: Front only
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
- Riders 8-15: $50; Riders older than 15: $10
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8-16 years; 4 years and over and over 80 pounds or over 57 inches tall