- No Requirement
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
When is a child restraint required?
- Under 2 years (or until outgrows the top height or weight recommendations) in rear-facing child restraint (eff. 11/01/2019)
- 3 years or under unless over 40 pounds and no lap/shoulder belt available
- 4-7 years unless no lap/shoulder belt available
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
Seat Belt Laws
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- All riders
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
- All Seats (Eff. November 1, 2020)
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8-15 years or over 40 pounds; 4-7 years if no lap/shoulder belt available