- 40 inches or shorter in a child restraint
- Under 8 years and 40-57 inches in a booster seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- No Requirement
Seat Belt Laws
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8-13 years; 4-7 years over 80 pounds or taller than 57 inches
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 14 and over
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
- Riders ages 14-17: All; Riders 18 and over: Front only
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
- Riders ages 14-17: $60; Riders older than 17: $30
Does law give immunity to person rescuing child in hot car?