- IIHS: Under 2 years and until reaching the manufacturer's weight or height limits must be in a rear-facing child restraint
- 2 - 3 years and until reaching the manufacturer's weight or height limits in a forward-facing child restraint
- 4 - 8 years or until reaching the manufacturer's weight or height limits in a booster seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- 12 and younger must be in the rear seat
Seat Belt Laws
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 9 - 17 years; children who have outgrown the manufacturer's height or weight limits of the child booster seat
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 9 and over