- Under 1 year or 20 pounds and under in rear-facing infant seat
- 1-3 years and over 20 pounds in forward-facing infant seat
- 4-8 years and under 57 inches in booster seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- Children 8 years and younger and less than 57 inches must be in rear seat; rear seat recommended for children 9-12
Seat Belt Laws
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 9-15 years (or 12 years and under and over 57 inches)
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
- Front only