- Under 2 years in rear-facing infant seat
- 2-8 years in forward-facing child safety seat or in booster seat secured by lap/shoulder belt (lap belt alone is not permissible)
- 7 years or under in rear seat
You are here
Child Safety Laws In Your State
Use this map to find child safety laws in each state. Visit our FAQ Section
The map below currently features Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws. More child safety laws coming soon.
Child Passenger Safety and Seat Belt Laws
Child Passenger Safety Laws
When is a child restraint required?
What is the maximum fine for a first car seat violation?
When must a child sit in the rear seat?
- 7 years and younger must be in rear seat
Seat Belt Laws
In what seats does the seat belt law apply?
What is the maximum fine for a first seat belt violation?
When can a child start using a seat belt?
- 8 years and at least 57 inches if child can be properly secured by adult belt
Who is covered by the seat belt law?
- Riders 8 and over